Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Reference code(s): GB 0211 PANTHOWELL
Title: Panthowell Collection
Short title: Panthowell estate, Tre-lech a'r Betws, collection
Dates of creation: 1766-1908
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.030 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Williams family; Willes family; Trafford family
Administrative and biographical history: The house of Panthowell, Trelech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire, was owned by the Williams family for nearly three centuries. John Williams (d. 1773) was the last of the male line at Panthowell. The property passed to his daughter Margarette Vandewall Williams, who married the Rev. William Shippen Willes, of Cirencester, (d. 1822) in 1797; their son, William Willes, inherited the estate. By 1831, the estate consisted of Panthowell, Panthowell Mill, Crug y denyon and Ffynnon Sais. In 1834 the estate was sold to Lt-Col Thomas Samuel Nicholls (1787-1857), of Tenby, Pembrokeshire. In 1837, Nicholls adopted the name Trafford, his grandmother's family, and built a large mansion at Panthowell in c. 1850. His second wife, Maria, continued to live at Panthowell until her death in 1908. The property was then sold to local farmers.
Scope and content: Deeds and documents, 1766-1908 , relating to the Panthowell estate, Trelech a'r Betws , and the Williams, Willes and Trafford families, including deeds, 1766-1854; and copies of marriage settlements, 1766-1834.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archives Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr and Mrs C. Thomas, Ammanford, Carmarthenshire, 1984.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Small Collections, L-Z; Jones, Major Francis, Historic Houses of Carmarthenshire and Their Families (Newport, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2003