Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Betws Parish Council and Community Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0211 BETWS PC and CC
Title: Betws Parish Council and Community Council Records
Short title: Betws Parish Council and Community Council records
Dates of creation: 1825-1987 (accumulated 1894-1987)
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.377cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Betws Parish Council and Community Council
Administrative and biographical history: Prior to 1894, monthly parish vestry meetings dealt with ecclesiastical matters, rates, and local issues. Parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894. The records contain mainly minute books, financial statements, correspondence, copies of planning applications, and rate lists. Civil registration began in 1837 but from 1894 onwards parish councils became fully responsible for civil administration. Community councils replaced parish councils under local government reorganization in 1974.
Scope and content: Records of Betws Parish Council and Betws Community Council, Carmarthenshire, 1825-1987, including minute books of the vestry and parish council, 1825-1975; financial records of the parish council, 1895-1962; letter books of the parish council, 1908-1938; correspondence of the parish council, 1918-1955; printed matter of the parish council, 1929-1957; maps, 1902; and Betws parish council rate books, 1864-1865; records relating to Betws community council, 1975-1987.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: minute books; various; financial; letter books; correspondence; printed matter; maps; Betws Parish Council rate books; and records relating to Betws Community Council.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the Box List is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by T. E. Evans, Clerk to the Betws Parish Council, Carmarthen, in 1962 and by Mr Gwynfor Evans, Clerk to Betws Community Council, Ammanford, in 1988.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Some records predate the creation of the civil parish council.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of the description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Catalogue of Betws Parish Council and Community Council Records.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: September 2003