Carmarthenshire Archive Service
John Francis Collection
Reference code(s): GB 0211 C2
Title: John Francis Collection
Short title: John Francis, collection
Dates of creation: 1741-1969 (accumulated [mid 20th century])
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 8.78 cubic metres and 200 volumes
Name of creator(s): John Francis and Sons, Estate Agents
Administrative and biographical history: John Francis and Sons is the largest independent Wales-based estate agency, with offices covering West Wales and Swansea, Glamorgan; one office is in Carmarthen. In the course of its business, it accumulated the papers of A. L. Perkins, who collected deeds relating to Pembrokeshire and to Carmarthenshire, and other material relating to hunting, hunt balls, rabbit trapping and the Carmarthenshire Chamber of Agriculture agricultural show from 1896.
Scope and content: Collection of John Francis, 1741-1969, comprising plans of estates and parishes in Carmarthenshire, 1777-1961, including industrial maps and plans, many relating to collieries, 1772-[mid 20th century]; records of Carmarthenshire Chamber of Agriculture, 1909-1969; deeds relating to Pembrokeshire (A. L. Perkins Muniments), 1741-1950; records relating to the Carmarthenshire Hunt Club, 1876-; property sales, estate valuations, reports, catalogues, schedules, plans, maps, arbitration awards, tenant rights' claims, probate inventories, timber contracts, tithe apportionments, leases, rentals in Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, and Pembrokeshire, and a few items pertaining to Glamorgan, Brecknockshire, Radnorshire and Montgomeryshire, 1797-1948.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English; Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: maps and plans; industrial maps and plans; records of Carmarthenshire Chamber of Agriculture; A. L. Perkins Muniments; Carmarthenshire Hunt Club; and John Francis: additional collection.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service. Further material is uncatalogued.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records were kept by John Francis and Son, Queen Street, Carmarthen.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited between 1976 and 1983 on behalf of John Francis by Mr A. L. Perkins and by Mr E. Perkins.
Note: Title supplied from name of depositor.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Catalogue of John Francis Collection; website John Francis Estate Agency Network (www.johnfrancis.co.uk/), viewed 22 September 2003; Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff 1969); Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County families of Wales (Baltimore, 1991 (fascimile of 1875 ed.); Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire and their Families (Newport, Pembrokeshire, 1996); Jones, Francis, The Francis Jones Treasury of Historic Carmarthenshire (Pembrokeshire, 2002); Carmarthen Record Office Survey of Archival Holdings; BBC webpage (www.bbc.co.uk), viewed 9 October 2003.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: October 2003