Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Railway Letters (Carmarthen Traffic Office, Great Western Railway)
Reference code(s): GB 0211 DB6 RAILWAY
Title: Railway Letters (Carmarthen Traffic Office, Great Western Railway)
Short title: Great Western Railway, Carmarthen Traffic Office, letters
Dates of creation: 1877-1984 (mainly 1877-1891)
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.24 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Great Western Railway (Carmarthen Traffic Office)
Administrative and biographical history: Carmarthen was connected to the railway network in 1852, when, under the auspices of the Great Western Railway, Isambard Kingdom Brunel built a temporary station outside the town on the South Wales Railway's newly-constructed line from Gloucester to Fishguard. GWR services between London and Fishguard were greatly improved after the building of the Severn Tunnel in 1886, and the company replaced Carmarthen station with a new one, on a site just to the south, in 1902. Following nationalisation in 1948, the GWR was superseded by British Railways (Western Region), which by the late 1960s had revised its name to British Rail (Western Region). The Carmarthen Traffic Office was responsible for record keeping and administration, and communication with the Divisional Superintendent's Office in Swansea. Samuel Cruse was Station master and head of the Office, 1879-1891.
Scope and content: Letters concerning Carmarthen railway station, mainly comprising correspondence relating to railway traffic and copies of correspondence, 1879-1891; booking clerk's train book, 1879-1880, a Line Clear book, 1885; GWR leaflets and telegraph dispatches, 1883; surveys of the Carmarthen to Cardigan line, 1893; timetables, 1937-1938; gradient profile of the closed line between Maesycrugiau and Carmarthen, 1967; and a notice of alterations to passenger and goods services, 1984.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged by the date of deposit, and chronologically thereafter.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Carmarthenshire Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The nineteenth-century material, which comprises most of the archive, appears to have remained in the custody of the Great Western Railway and its successor bodies until it was deposited at the Carmarthenshire Archives Service, but the later items have passed through the Carmarthen Library and the hands of private individuals.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mr W. M. Davies, Permanent Way Inspector, British Rail, Old Station Road, Carmarthen, 1977, 1982 and 1987, and also by the Rev. M. R. C. Price, Hook Norton, Banbury, Oxfordshire, 1984, by Mr B. Voyle, Llanelli, 1984, by Mr D. L. James, Regional Librarian, Carmarthen Library, 1986, and by Mr W. N. Davies, Penygroes, Llanelli, 1989.
Related units of description: Further records are Carmarthenshire Archives Service, DX/64.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Moore for the ANW project. The following sources were consulted in the compilation of this description: Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Schedule of Railway Letters; Awdry, C., and W. Adams, Encyclopaedia of the Great Western Railway (Sparkford, 1993).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: September 2003