Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Reference code(s): GB 0211 DYNEVOR
Held at: Carmartheshire Archives Service
Title: Dynevor Muniments
Short title: Dynevor muniments
Dates of creation: 1552-1966
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 6.6 cubic metres (534 boxes, 78 vols))
Name of creator(s): Dynevor estate
Administrative and biographical history: Dynevor in the parish of Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, was held by the Rice family since the 15th century. Rhys ap Griffith of Dynevor was beheaded in 1531 and his possessions became forfeited to the Crown. His son Griffith ap Rice managed to regain parts of his father's Pembrokeshire lands before being convicted of the murder of Mathew Walshe in Durham. On the accession of Elizabeth I, he was pardoned, and in 1560, the forfeited lands were again restored to him, together with other lands in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, including the manor of Newton. (The name Dynevor Castle and occasionally Dynevor Park was a 19th century creation). Griffith's son and heir was Sir Walter Rice of Newton, who married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Sir Edward Mansel, of Margam. Glamorgan. The estate devolved in the male line for three generations, until Sir Edward Rice, who built the present mansion, died without issue. The estate then passed to Walter Rice and ecentually to Griffith Rice of Newton, M.P. for Carmarthenshire 1701-1710, who married Katherine, daughter and co-heiress of Philip Hobby of Neath Abbey. The Neath Abbey estate was partitioned into three parts, with the Rice family receiving the residue of the properties with 7/8 rights to minerals, excluding that under Graig and Longford land. Griffith Rice was succeeded by his grandson, George Rice, M.P. for Carmarthenshire, 1754-1779, who married Cecil, Baroness Dynevor, only daughter and heiress of William Talbot, Earl Talbot of Hensol. Cecil succeeded her father in the barony of Dynevor in 1782, and assumed by royal licence the surname de Cardonnell in 1787. Their heir was George Talbot Rice, 3rd Baron Dynevor who assumed the additional surname of de Cardonnell by royal licence in 1793, but resumed the name Rice by royal licence in 1817. He was succeeded by his only son, George Rice, 4th Baron Dynevor, who assumed the additional surname of Trevor as inheritor of the Bromham estate of the Trevors of Glynde, Sussex. He died without male heir so that the Dynevor estate passed to his cousin, Francis William, 5th Baron Dynevor, vicar of Fairford, Gloucestershire. Francis' grandson was Walter Fitzuryan, 7th Baron Dynevor, who married Lady Margaret Child-Villiers, eldest daughter of the 7th Earl of Jersey. He re-assumed by royal licence the surname of Rhys in lieu of Rice. His heir, Charles Arthur Uryan Rhys, sold the Dynevor portion of the Neath Abbey estate in September 1946. This portion amounted to 2,620 acres, extending from Cilfrew to Crumlyn Brook at Jersey Marina, and included 13 farms and industrial sites. Richard Charles Uryan Rhys, 9th Baron Dynevor, inherited the remaining holding of the Llandeilo estate, comprising 23 farms and 2,000 acres, a ruined castle, a deer park with a herd of rare White Park cattle, and substantial unpaid death duties . Most of the estate has since been sold. According to the 1873 return of owners of land, the Rev. Lord Dynevor owned 10,509 acres in Wales, all in Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan, with an estimated rental of £10,509.
Scope and content: Deeds, 1552-1959, (mainly 19-20th cent.) of the Dynevor estate in Carmarthenshire, particularly in the Ammanford and Llandeilo districts, and reflecting especially the growth of Ammanford, and industrial undertakings such as collieries, iron-works, chemical works and quarries; records of the manor of Iscennen, 1699-1915; correspondence including letters relating to the Rice family of Dynevor and the Mansel family of Margam, 1618-1634, 1731-1734, estate letter books, 1881-1940, and correspondence, mainly 20th cent., relating to the Dynevor estates in Carmarthenshire and Glamorgan, rentals of the Carmarthenshire estate, 1716-1914; estate accounts and vouchers, 1678-1966; Neath Abbey estate rentals and accounts, 1878-1915; maps and plans, 1760-1930; photographs and testimonials, [19-20 cent]; and family pedigrees including some compiled by Thomas Jones (Twm Sion Cati) and the Dynevor Pedigree Book. The archive also includes political papers comprising Carmarthenshire poll books, 1722, 1727, 1754, and correspondence relating to political affairs, 1752-1941; Carmarthenshire militia records, 1804-1839; papers of the estate of Thomas Kymer, 1687-1861, including account books, day books, wages books and correspondence relating to coal mining in the Gwendraeth valley, and papers, mainly 18th cent., relating to the Muddlescombe estate.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Latin
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into: the following groups: Kymer papers, deeds, and draft deeds; correspondence including military and political, rentals and accounts, vouchers, miscellaneous, and maps and plans; Additional MSS I, Additional MSS II, and Additional MSS III; Dynevor Additional and Dynevor Miscellaneous
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives. Further details about manorial records within the archive can be accessed from the Manorial Documents Register.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Lord Dynevor, Dynevor Castle. Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to the Dynevor estate in Carmarthenshire is National Library of Wales, Dynevor Estate Records. Further records relating to the family's Hensol estate in Glamorgan are National Library of Wales, Hensol Estate Records and Glamorgan Record Office, DD Part 1. Further papers relating to the family's Neath Abbey estate is West Glamorgan Archive Service, DD Part 2.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959); Burke's Peerage and Knightage, (London, 1959); Hayward, Alan, 'The Barons Dynevor dynasty', Neath Antiquarian Society Transactions, 1988-9; Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families, (Newport,1997); James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-6); Beckley, Susan, 'The Carmarthenshire Record Office: a survey of holdings', The Carmarthenshire Antiquary, XV (1979).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: November 2001; amended June 2005