Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Lewis-Philipps, Clyngwynne, Llanboidy: Family papers.
Reference code(s): GB 0211 CLYNGWYNNE
Held at: Carmarthenshie Archives Service
Title: Lewis-Philipps, Clyngwynne, Llanboidy: Family papers.
Short title: Lewis-Philipps, Clyngwynne, Llanboidy, family papers
Dates of creation: 1793-1977
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.28 cubic metres (21 boxes, 2 vols)
Name of creator(s): Lewis-Philipps family of Clyngwynne
Administrative and biographical history: William Philipps, a Carmarthen timber merchant, bought Clyngwynne (Clyn Gwyn) in Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, in the first half of the 19th century. He died unmarried and the estate passed to his nephew William Lewis (d. 1895), son of Jonah Lewis of Ffosddufach, Llanboidy, who took on the additional surname of Philipps. The mansion on the site was built by William Lewis-Philipps in the 1850's. The estate was sold after the death of Dr Hugh Lewis-Philipps who practised as a doctor at St Clears until 1976.
Scope and content: Family and estate papers of the Lewis-Philipps family of Clyngwynne, Carmarthenshire, comprising wills, 1844-1973; deeds, 1793-1960; estate records, including accounts, solicitors' correspondence, and insurance policies, 1856-1962; business records of Dr Hugh Lewis-Philipps, 1920-1977; correspondence, 1845-1976; personal ephemera, 1866-1976; greeting cards and postcards, 1887-1938; photographs,[ c. 1898]-1954; valentine cards, [19 cent].; printed books, 1824-1971; newspapers and periodicals, 1796-1955; and maps, 1888-1960.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged at Carmarthenshire Archive Service into two groups: Group I contains family and estate papers; correspondence; greeting cards, postcards, etc., photographs; printed books, pamphlets etc.; newspapers and periodicals; maps; and miscellaneous documents, and Group II contains Clyngwynne additional papers.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at the Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mrs C. Lewis Philipps, Gelli, 7 Glynderi, Tanerdy, Carmarthen, February 1977 and in July 1978.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families, (Newport, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2001