Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Reference code(s): GB 0211 DAVIESEVANS
Held at: Carmarthenshie Archives Service
Title: Davies-Evans Collection
Short title: Davies-Evans of Highmead and Dolgadfan estate, Montgomeryshire, papers
Dates of creation: 1654-1907
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.3 cubic metres (25 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Davies-Evans family of Highmead
Administrative and biographical history: Highmead mansion was built in 1777 by Herbert Evans (c. 1744-1787) on the estate of his mother Elizabeth Lloyd, the last of the Llanfechan branch of the Lloyds of Castell Howell. Her father, David Lloyd, left Llanfechan and settled at Cardigan, but Elizabeth had several farms, on one of which Highmead was built, in Llanwenog. Herbert Evans was succeeded by his sons John who died without issue in 1799 and by another Herbert who also died without issue in 1848. The estate passed eventually to Mary Anne Evans, the daughter of Watkin Evans (d. 1816), a younger brother of John and Herbert, who had married Elizabeth Griffiths, the heiress of Dolgadfan, Montgomeryshire. She married Delme Seymour Davies (d. 1869), the son of William Griffith Davies (1762-1814) of Penylan in Llanfynydd, Carmarthenshire. Herbert Davies (b. 1842), their son, assumed the surname Davies-Evans in 1884 in order to succeed to the estates of his great-uncle Herbert Evans (dsp 1848) of Highmead. Major Herbert Davies-Evans (1842-1928) was a descendent of the Davies family of Penylan who appear to have owned the Penylan estate since the 1640s at least. Penylan was sold by Delme Seymour Davies (1807-69) to David Jones of Pantglas, but Major Herbert Davies-Evans's second son, Delme William Campbell Davies-Evans (1873-1953) bought back Penylan when the Pantglas estate was sold. According to the 1873 return of owners of land the Highmead estate measured 6,307 acres in Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire and carried an annual rental of £3915. In 1956 Highmead became a school for the disabled but closed down sometime after 1975.
Scope and content: Family and estate papers of the Davies-Evans family of Highmead including rentals, mainly of the Dolgadfan estate, Montgomeryshire, 1760-1907, deeds, 1654-1897, accounts, 1824-1908, legal papers, 1805-1905, correspondence, 1813-1907, maps, plans and photographs, [19 century]; wills, all relating to the Highmead estate in Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire and Pembrokeshire, 1786-1903; and genealogical papers, 1819-1886.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: accounts; deeds; diaries; genealogy; legal papers; correspondence; maps, plans, and photographs; rentals; wills; and miscellaneous documents.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Messrs R. Wilson & Co., Solicitors, High Street, Pangbourne, Berkshire, April 1964.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to the Highmead estate are National Library of Wales, Highmead Estate Records. A draft item level description is available for part of this archive.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Burke's Landed Gentry, (London, 3 vols, 1965-1972), vol III; James, Brian, 'The Great Landowners of Wales in 1873', National Library of Wales Journal, XIV (1965-6); Jones, Francis, Historic Cardiganshire Homes and their families, (Newport, 2000); Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their families, (Newport, 1997)
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2001; amended July 2005