Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Morris of Bryn Myrddin Deeds and Documents
Reference code(s): GB 0211 BRYNMYRDDIN
Held at: Carmarthenshie Archives Service
Title: Morris of Bryn Myrddin Deeds and Documents
Short title: Morris of Bryn Myrddin deeds and documents
Dates of creation: 1654-1979
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.14 cubic metres (10 boxes, 2 rolls)
Name of creator(s): Morris family of Bryn Myrddin, Abergwili
Administrative and biographical history: The Morris family, descended from a line of landowners at Llanstephan, Carmarthenshire, were prominent private bankers in the town of Carmarthen. Thomas Charles Morris (1808-1886), sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1866, who succeeded to his father's estate, purchased Penybanc Ucha, Abergwili, from Richard Poole, a London lawyer in 1848. The old house was demolished, and a new mansion was built. Mary Elizabeth, Thomas' wife, felt that Penybanc was not an appropriate name for a banker's house, and therefore renamed the new mansion, Bryn Myrddin. Thomas Charles and his brother, William (1811-1877) were joint heirs of their cousin, David Morris, M.P. for Carmarthen Borough 1837-1864, who died unmarried in 1864. Thomas Charles' s heir was Edward Harold Morris (1850-1929), who was succeeded by Ryle Edward Charles Morris (b. 1891). The Bryn Myrddin estate is still owned by the Morris family. Thomas Charles Morris also purchased the Green castle estate in Llangain, Carmarthenshire, from a Frederick Bulworth.
Scope and content: Family and estate papers of the Morris family of Bryn Myrddin, Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, comprising deeds and documents, 1654-1888; letters, 1799-1886; documents relating to the Carmarthen Bank, 1808-1871; documents and papers of, or acquired by, J. R. Morris, 1778-1928; letter books, 1859-1898; newspaper cuttings, 1837-1908; maps and plans, 1774-1919; documents relating to genealogy and heraldry, [19th cent.]-1951; and printed material, 1808-1979.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: deeds and documents; schedule of documents made by E.H. Morris; manuscript volumes; maps and plans; genealogy and heraldry; miscellaneous; printed material; charity records; and the papers of J.R. Morris.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of a catalogue are available at the Carmarthenshire Archive Service and the National Register of Archives
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: Documents now numbered 59-83 were previously classified by the late E.H. Morris of Bryn Myrddin. The numbering of the documents made by the late Mr Morris are placed within brackets.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Miss Alice S. Morris, 114 Bronwydd Road, Carmarthen, August 1967, and by Mrs Elaine Barry, Shilton House, Shilton, Oxford, in June 1987.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to the Carmarthen Bank are Carmarthenshire Archives Service, Carmarthen Bank Collection, DB/118.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. Modified by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959); Burke's Landed Gentry,( London, 18th ed. 3 vols, 1965- 1972), vol III ; Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families, (Newport, 1997); Jones, Francis, Historic Cardiganshire Homes and their families, (Newport, 2000).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: September 2003