Carmarthenshire Archive Service
Reference code(s): GB 0211 TALIARIS
Held at: Carmarthesnhire Archives Service
Title: Taliaris Muniments
Short title: Taliaris muniments
Dates of creation: 1656, 1712-[c. 1961]
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.98 cubic metres (74 boxes, 38 vols)
Name of creator(s): Taliaris estate
Administrative and biographical history: The Gwynne family, the first family to be established at Taliaris, Carmarthenshire, were descended from a natural son of Sir Rhys ap Thomas of Dinefwr (d. 1525). This family failed with David Gwynne (d. c. 1721), after which the estate passed to his relative, Richard Jones of Tre-gib, Carmarthenshire. who changed his surname to Gwynne (d. pre-1753). After the death of his son, David Jones Gwynne in 1775 the Taliaris estate was offered for sale by order of Chancery in 1785, and was sold in 1787 to Lord Robert Seymour (d. 1831). The Gwynne family itself remained at Tre-gib until it was bought by the Carmarthenshire Education Authority in 1964. Shortly after the death of Lord Robert Seymour, his widow sold the Taliaris estate to Robert Peel, a Lancashire businessman, and first cousin to Sir Robert Peel. The estate continued in the Peel family until 1954, when most of the estate was sold. The mansion was sold to the Rev. Max Williams in 1967. The Danyrallt estate, originally known as Llwyn y Berllan or Dirleton, was purchased by John Peel in 1881. It was he who renamed the estate Danyrallt. The Danyrallt mansion was accidentally burnt down during the Second World War.
Scope and content: Family and estate papers of the Gwynne and Peel families of Taliaris, in the parish of Llandeilo Fawr, Carmarthenshire, comprising deeds, 1656-[c. 1958], rentals and estate accounts, 1785-1961, and wills, correspondence, vouchers, receipts, diaries, journals, portrait albums, painting and sketch books, military and personal photographs, and maps, [ c. 1715]-[c. 1958]; papers relating to the Peel family of Lancashire and elsewhere, [c. 1800]-[c. 1850], and papers relating to the Danyrallt estate, Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, [c. 1833]-[c. 1904].
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following sections: deeds and documents; rentals and estate accounts; and maps, plans, drawings and photographs.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthen Archive Service, National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Acruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Mrs F. V. Peel in July 1967.
Existence and location of copies: Transcripts of papers relating to the Taliaris estate are in the Francis Green MSS in Haverfordwest Public Library, vol. 11, pp. 539-50, vol. 19, pp. 414-15, and vol. 20, p. 413. Photocopies of the MSS are available at NLW.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to the Cynghordy estate are National Library of Wales, DTM Jones 2269-2422, and further papers, [c. 1833]- [c. 1904] relating to the Danyrallt estate are Carmarthenshire Archive Service, Taliaris Muniments.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following source was used in the compilation of this record: Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families (Newport, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2001