Denbighshire Record Office
Wrexham Infirmary and War Memorial Hospital, records of
Reference code(s): GB 0209 HD/3
Title: Wrexham Infirmary and War Memorial Hospital, records of
Short title: Wrexham Infirmary and War Memorial Hospital
Dates of creation: 1846-1983
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 63 boxes
Name of creator(s): Wrexham Infirmary; Wrexham and East Denbighshire Memorial Hospital
Administrative and biographical history: Wrexham Infirmary- The Wrexham Dispensary opened in Yorke Street on May 1st 1833. The dispensary had no facilities for in-patients and it soon became apparent that an infirmary was needed. Wrexham Infirmary was opened in 1838 in Regent Street and by 1848, the Infirmary became known as Wrexham Hospital and Dispensary. A new in-patients ward was opened in 1840 followed by numerous additions over the following years including an operating theatre in 1863, fever wards in 1866/7 and a children's ward and convalescent ward in 1887. Wrexham and East Denbighshire Memorial Hospital- The Wrexham and East Denbighshire Memorial Hospital, Rhosddu Road, opened in 1926. The hospital opened in conjunction with the William & John Jones Hospital Trust, replacing Wrexham Infirmary. The War Memorial closed in 1986 when the last patients were transferred to Ysbyty Maelor. William and John Jones Hospital- The William and John Jones Hospital ran alongside the War Memorial Hospital's out-patients department on Grove Park Road. The hospital later became part of the War Memorial Hospital.
Scope and content: Records of Wrexham Infirmary and War Memorial Hospital comprising of Administrative Records (Annual Reports, 1846-1947; Rules and Reports, 1850-1927; Minutes of the Medical Committee, 1841-1929; minutes of the William and John Jones Hospital Trust, 1913-1948, Minutes of the Committee of Wrexham Infirmary, 1906-1926; Minutes of the War Memorial Board of Management, 1925-1948; Minutes of General, House and Sub-committees, 1918-1948; Minutes of Building and Finance committees, 1923-1940; Building & Estate specifications, 1896-1913). Patient Records (Admission and Discharge Registers, 1912-1957; In-patient registers, 1905-1976; In-patient Statistics, 1961-1973; Out-patient registers, 1926-1951; General Patient Indexes, 1937-1938; Ophthalmic department , 1926-1963; Radiology Department, 1946-1966; Casualty patient indexes, 1960-1980; Casualty registers, 1939-1982, Surgical records, 1914-1983; Waiting lists, 1960-1968). Staff Records (Registers of Nurses, 1904-1955 and Miscellaneous Staff records, 1902-1926). Photographic and visual material (1900-1980). Ephemeral material (1918-1955) and Miscellaneous (1960-1990).
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: This collection is arranged by- Administrative Records; Patient Records; Staff Records; Photographic and visual material; Ephemeral material and Miscellaneous
Conditions governing access: Access to some documents within this collection may be restricted under Data Protection legislation and/or NHS rules. Please contact Denbighshire Record Office for further information.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Denbighshire Record Office
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the senior administrator at the Wrexham War Memorial Hospital on 17/06/1975 with later accessions made in 1990 and 1992.
Archivist's note: Catalogued by Sarah Winning, Archivist at Denbighshire in 2012
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2014