Denbighshire Record Office
Broughton Parish Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0209 PCD/9
Title: Broughton Parish Council Records
Short title: Broughton Parish Council records
Dates of creation: 1897-1973
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.133 cubic metres (78 items)
Name of creator(s): Broughton Parish Council
Administrative and biographical history: Civil parish councils were established by the Local Government Act 1894. The records can include minute books, financial statements, correspondence, copies of planning applications, and rate lists. Community councils replaced parish councils under the local government reorganization in 1974. The parish of Broughton (previously a township in the parish of Wrexham) was in the county of Denbighshire prior to the 1974 reorganization, when Broughton Community Council took over the role of the Parish Council, and Denbighshire became part of Clwyd. In 1996, Clwyd was abolished, and Broughton (known as New Broughton) now lies within Wrexham County Borough.
Scope and content: Records of Broughton Parish Council, 1897-1973, including minute books, 1897-1973; receipt and payment books, 1934-1971; Broughton Memorial Welfare Committee ledgers, 1948-1961; Burial Board records, 1942-1972; financial statements, 1917-1969; precept books, 1938-1971; Broughton United War Comforts Society records, 1939-1946; and miscellaneous, 1923-1970.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Broughton Parish Council; Broughton United War Comfort Society; and miscellaneous.
Conditions governing access: Access to some documents within this collection may be restricted under Data Protection legislation. Please contact Denbighshire Record Office for further information.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available in Denbighshire Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Denbighshire Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Clerk to Broughton Community Council, Clwyd, 1974.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains material accumulated by the Council.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Denbighshire Record Office, Catalogue, Broughton Parish Council Records; Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative Units (1968).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2004