Denbighshire Record Office

J. M. Porter and Co. MSS

Reference code(s): GB 0209 DD/PO

Held at:

Title: J. M. Porter and Co. MSS

Short title: J. M. Porter and Co., estate agents, architects and surveyors, records

Dates of creation: 1864-1972

Level of description: Fonds

Extent and medium: 3.458 cubic metres (182 boxes)

Name of creator(s): John Merry Porter; J. M. Porter and Co.

CONTEXT

Administrative and biographical history: J. M. (John Merry) Porter (1863-1942) moved to Colwyn Bay, Denbighshire, when he was three years old. His father, John Porter, of Pwllycrochan, Denbighshire, was the agent for John Pender, a Manchester businessman concerned mainly with promoting transatlantic cables. John Porter and converted the Pwllycrochan Mansion into a hotel, under a lease from Pender in 1866, and eventually bought it. It remained the property of the Porter family until 1938, when it was sold to Rydal School. J. M. Porter was articled to Messrs. Farrer and Company of Manchester, Lancashire, where he trained as an architect and surveyor. After qualifying in 1886, he returned to Colwyn Bay and became a partner with Lawrence Booth and Thomas Chadwick, architects, surveyors and estate agents, who had formed their original partnership in 1876 to act as agents for the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochan Estate Company. Porter became the local agent. In 1905, it became Porter and Hunter, until Charles Ernest Elcock was taken into partnership in c. 1907. In 1912, the firm became J. M. Porter and Company, and kept this name until it was dissolved in 1973. J. M. Porter married Catherine M. Hawksworth (1875-1935) in 1891. They had three children, Graham Hawksworth, who was killed in action in France, 1916; John Lawrence, who joined his father's practice and Catherine Margaret, who married Norman Milne Harrop of Garth Gynan, Llanfair Dyffryn Clywd. In 1973, the partners in J. M. Porter and Co., (John Lawrence Porter and Leonard Mosely) who had joined in 1920 and became partners in 1940, decided to retire and closed the business. The records of J. M. Porter and Co. reflect the development of Colwyn Bay, from a rural village to thriving seaside resort, since the company was involved in the design and alteration of many of its buildings, and, as estate agents, managing properties for sale and rent.

CONTENT

Scope and content: Letter books on general matters, 1889-1972, of the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochan Estate Company, 1877-1948, agency, 1925-1942, and miscellaneous, 1884-1917; financial, 1885-1947; diaries of J. M. Porter, 1886-1941; diaries of J. L. Porter, 1933-1960; from the office, 1893-1970 and drawing office 1900-1905; office papers, 1881-1958; sale particulars for properties in Denbighshire, 1896-1961; Flintshire, 1887-1941; Caernarfonshire, 1888-1960; Anglesey, 1890-1942; Breconshire, 1950; Cardiganshire, 1920; Glamorgan, 1918; Merionethshire, 1893-1947; mixed Welsh counties of Denbighshire and Flintshire, 1893-1920 and Denbighshire and Caernarfonshire, 1884-1958; English counties, 1891-1932; photographs, [c. 1880]-[c. 1960]; plans, and drawings, 1864-1968; and J. M. Porter's personal papers, consisting of letter books on Braeside, 1914-1940; Pwllycrochan Hotel, 1900-1938; Surveyors' Institute, 1911-1923, and miscellaneous, 1894-1930.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/script: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following : letter books; financial; diaries; office papers; sales particulars; photographs, plans and drawings; and J. M. Porter personal papers.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Denbighshire Record Office.
Detailed catalogue

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Denbighshire Record Office have been retained. Duplicate sale particulars have been transferred to the Clwyd Record Office, Hawarden, Gwynedd Archive Service and the National Library of Wales, as appropriate.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited on indefinite loan by the Director of Administration, Colwyn Borough Council in 1980.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related units of description: See also J. M. Porter & Co. Additional MSS, DD/PO (Addnl).

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier personal and other material accumulated by the company.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following source was used to compile this description: Denbighshire Record Office, Catalogue of the J. M. Porter & Co. MSS.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of description: March 2004


INDEX ENTRIES

Subjects

Colwyn Bay (Wales) | History

Colwyn Bay (Wales) | Maps

J.M. Porter and Co. | Archives

Personal names

Porter, J. L. (John Lawrence), [alive 1920-1973]

Porter, J. M. (John Merry), 1863-1942

Corporate names

J.M. Porter and Co.

Places

Anglesey

Breconshire

Caernarvonshire

Cardiganshire

Colwyn Bay

Denbighshire

Flintshire

Glamorgan

Merioneth