Denbighshire Record Office
Llanrwst Rural District Council Records
Reference code(s): GB 0209 RDD/F
Title: Llanrwst Rural District Council Records
Short title: Llanrwst Rural District Council records
Dates of creation: 1879-1935 (accumulated 1895-1935)
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.152 cubic metres (28 items)
Name of creator(s): Llanrwst Rural District Council; Llanrwst Highway Board
Administrative and biographical history: Llanrwst Rural District Council, Denbighshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894. The rural district included the civil parish of Llanrwst Rural. The council consisted of councillors and a chairman, elected for three years. They originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities and their responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries, parks, and licensing of public entertainments, water supply and later housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Public Health Inspector, Housing Officer, Surveyor and Rating Officer. In 1935, the district became part of the new Hiraethog rural district. Llanrwst Highway Board was active from 1879.
Scope and content: Records of Llanrwst Rural District Council, 1879-1935, comprising minutes, 1895-1935, and letter books, 1910-1935, of the Clerk's department; Treasurer's general ledgers, 1902-1935; items relating to the Rating Officer and Housing Officer, 1929-1933; miscellaneous Surveyor's records, 1900-1929; and receipt and payment book of Surveyor to Llanrwst Highway Board, 1879-1888.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; Treasurer; Rating Officer; Housing Officer and Surveyor.
Conditions governing access: Access to some documents within this collection may be restricted due to Data Protection legislation. Please contact Denbighshire Record Office for further information.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Denbighshire Record Office.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The records deposited by Mr D. B. Francis formerly belonged to John H. Francis, appointed district surveyor of Llanrwst, 1928.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Chief Executive, Colwyn Borough Council, Civic Centre, Colwyn Bay, 1982, and by Mr D. B. Francis, Sefton, Llanddoget Road, Llanrwst, per Gwynedd Archives Service, Dolgellau, 1987.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier material accumulated by the Council.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Denbighshire Record Office, Llanrwst Rural District Council catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2004