Denbighshire Record Office
Trelawnyd Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Reference code(s): GB 0209 P/64
Title: Trelawnyd Ecclesiastical Parish Records
Short title: Trelawnyd (Newmarket) parish records
Dates of creation: 1696-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: (23 items)
Name of creator(s): Trelawnyd Parish
Administrative and biographical history: The county of Flintshire falls within the Diocese of St Asaph and consists of over fifty ecclesiastical parishes, including Trelawnyd (Newmarket). The records of individual ecclesiastical parishes in Flintshire include registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as records of the churchwardens and Parochial Church Councils, parish charities, schools, clubs and societies. Parish records were deposited at the Clwyd Record Office, following an agreement of 1976 between the Church in Wales and the Welsh County Councils. Trelawnyd was originally one of the ancient parishes of Flintshire. The name "Newmarket" dates back to 1700, in which year John Wynne obtained a faculty from the Bishop's Registry to change the name. John Wynne had already rebuilt most of the village, established several branches of industry, and set up a weekly market and an annual fair. The village (and parish) continued to be called Newmarket until 1954, when it was officially renamed as Trelawnyd. Following a decision by the Church in Wales to group parish collections by deanery, the records were transferred to Denbighshire Record Office in June 2009
Scope and content: Records of Trelawnyd parish, 1696-1974, including registers, 1696-1970; service registers, 1919-1974; records of charities, 1858-1971; tithe records, 1844-5; enclosure records, 1821-1828.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/script: English, Welsh
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Incumbent records; Charities; Tithe; Enclosure.
Conditions governing access: Access to some documents within this collection may be restricted due to Data Protection legislation. Please contact Denbighshire Record Office for further information.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available in Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Flintshire Record Office have been retained by Denbighshire Record Office.
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Rev. E. B. Williams, Dyserth, Clwyd, 1977 and Rev. R.W.Rowlands, Dyserth, Clwyd, 1982.
Existence and location of copies: Microfilm copies of the parish registers are available at Flintshire Record Office, Denbighshire Record Office and the National Library of Wales.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Flintshire Record Office, Trelawnyd Parish records catalogue; Diocese of St Asaph Homepage (http://www.dioceseofstasaph.org.uk/), viewed 1 March 2004; GENUKI (UK and Ireland genealogy) website (http://www.genuki.org.uk/), viewed 1 March 2004.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2004