Denbighshire Record Office
Llwyn Onn MSS
Reference code(s): GB 0209 DD/LO
Held at: Denbighshire Record Office
Title: Llwyn Onn MSS
Short title: Llwyn Onn manuscripts
Dates of creation: 1683-1971
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.081 cubic metres (3 boxes)
Name of creator(s): Llwyn Onn estate
Administrative and biographical history: The Jones family resided at Llwyn Onn near Wrexham, Denbighshire, from at least the 15th century. The children of John ap Robert ap Iorwerth of Llwyn Onn were the first to adopt the surname of 'Jones' about the time of Edward IV. They were considered the chief family in the township of Wrexham and at one time nearly all the lands of Abenbury, Erlisham, as well as lands in Eyton and Marchwiel, belonged to them. Due to the gavelkind system, however, the Llwyn Onn branch of the family had its estate in Abenbury reduced to 600 acres by the early 17th century. The Llwyn Onn estate passed down the male line until 1799 when the fourth John Jones (b. c. 1760) left Llwyn Onn to his wife, Penelope, who in turn bequeathed it to her sister, Jane Stead. On her death in 1825 the estate was bequeathed to Thomas Parry Jones (d. 1835), second son of John Jones of Llwyn Onn, who married his cousin Margaret, daughter and co-heiress of Love Parry of Wern Fawr, Penarth, and Madryn, Caernarfonshire, and who assumed the additional Parry name by royal licence in 1807. Their first son, Lt-Gen. Sir Love Parry Jones-Parry, inherited the Madryn estate from his parents. Their second son, Captain Thomas Jones-Parry (1784-1845), acquired Llwyn Onn and Aberdunant. The Aberdunant estate was inherited by Thomas's eldest son, Robert Lloyd (1816-1870), whose son, Thomas Edward John Lloyd, inherited the property of his great-grandfather, Vice Admiral Robert Lloyd which included the Tregayan estate in Anglesey and the Gesail Gyfarch estate in Caernarfonshire. The Llwyn Onn estate, however, passed to Thomas's second son, Thomas Parry Jones-Parry (1828-1909). The fourth and last Thomas Jones-Parry (1869-1909) of Llwyn Onn had one child, Lucie Margaret, who married Sir John Vernon Hughes-Morgan in 1923. When Thomas Jones-Parry died Lucie Margaret and her aunts, Lucie Maria and Gladys Lucie Jones-Parry, became joint trustees of the estate. Lady Hughes-Morgan lived at Llwyn Onn Hall until 1919, when it was leased. Lady Hughes-Morgan was the mother of Thomas Parry Michael Hughes-Morgan who changed his name to Jones-Parry in 1961.
Scope and content: Deeds and estate papers relating to the Llwyn Onn estate, 1757-1950, the Gesail Gyfarch estate, 1798-1863, both Caernarfonshire, and the Tregaian estate, Anglesey, 1761-1807; surveys and valuations, 1859-1942; accounts and vouchers, 1859-1944; correspondence relating to the Llwyn Onn and Gesail Gyfarch estates, 1878-1957; legal records, 1773-1968; plans; and personal papers, mainly genealogical papers.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically into the following: deeds; estate records; plans; photographs; office; family papers; legal records; and miscellaneous.
Conditions governing access: Access to some documents within this collection may be restricted due to Data Protection legislation. Please contact Denbighshire Record Office for further information.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Denbighshire Record Office and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Denbighshire Record Office have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by M. Jones Parry, Woodham House, Burghclere, Newbury, Berkshire, in August 1977
Related units of description: Further papers are Belmont MSS and Yale Papers at the Department of Manuscripts University of Wales Bangor Library, and National Library of Wales, Madryn Estate Records.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Guide to collections held at the Denbighshire Record Office (www.denbighshire.gov.uk/www/dccportal.nsf) (January 2002); Griffith, John Edwards, Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Families (Wrexham, 1998 reprint); Burke's Landed Gentry (London, 1952).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: January 2002