Neath Antiquarian Society
Aberavon Borough Records
Reference code(s): GB 9999 NAS B/A
Title: Aberavon Borough Records
Short title: Aberavon Borough, records
Dates of creation: 1753-1860
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 4 items
Name of creator(s): Aberavon Borough
Administrative and biographical history: Aberavon Borough was granted borough status in c. 1304-1307 by Leisan ap Morgan, Lord of Avan. Its boundaries were similar to those of the ecclesiastical parish of Aberavon. It was reformed in 1861 under a new charter.
Scope and content: Deeds, 1860; miscellaneous papers, 1759-1833.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into deeds and miscellaneous papers.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service in County Hall, Swansea and the Neath Mechanics' Institute. A version of this catalogue is also available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Source not recorded.
Related units of description: A larger collection of Aberavon and Port Talbot Borough records is held at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, reference B/A and B/PT.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Andrew Dulley for the ANW project.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: August 2005