Search the Catalogue
Archives Wales contains short descriptions of archives held in Wales. It is a tool to allow you to decide which collections contain material relating to your interest. The information can be browsed, text-searched or index-searched.
Archives Wales covers almost all catalogued collections held by the 20 project partners. Not all archive collections relating to Wales are listed on ANW. Material not covered includes:
- collections which haven't been catalogued yet
- collections held by other bodies in Wales (museums, libraries, private institutions)
- archives relating to Wales held by bodies elsewhere in the UK, including public records held by The National Archives
- very small collections
- some collections of photographs, tape recordings, etc.
- wills and census records
- church registers (some exceptions)
- collections of printed books, and
- the majority of manuscripts held by NLW in its MSS series.
Some collections contain material which is not currently available for public use. Restrictions may be imposed by the depositor of the collection, or by the repository because of Data Protection and privacy issues. Any restrictions are summarised in the description, under 'Conditions Governing Access'.